Friday, April 1, 2011

Next Stop 3rd Dimension!

Sony warns that 3D my have side
effects to players. PS3Vault

This week I had a hard time coming up with a topic to blog about but that may be because I was simply thinking too hard. If someone were to ask me today what the next big thing in the entertainment industry is going to be I would answer 3D. One does not have to look too far to see all of the new 3D products popping up all around us. The most obvious industries jumping on the 3D bandwagon are the movie and TV industries, but where does the video game industry stand on this transformation?


 In a March 31, 2011 Wall Street Journal blog post Ryan Kuo explains that he got to play a section of SOCOM 4 in 3D, at the recent Sony showcase in New York, and was quickly enveloped in the world although the 3D glasses made the screen quite a bit darker. After reading Kuo's blog post he seems to be torn between 3D and 2D games. According to Kuo the best 3D game showcased at the event was Virtua Tennis 4. He accredits this success to the fact that already translates well into a video game. On the other hand Kuo says,
Then there were games like Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception and Mortal Kombat, where the inclusion of 3D is like gluing twigs and wood chips to a painting of a forest. Mortal Kombat is a lovely 2D fighting game that doesn’t exactly make room for 3-D. And a prerecorded video of Uncharted 3′s gameplay looked decidedly better without 3-D glasses—blur and all.
 

This video explains what PS3 owners will need to do to be able to play 3D games and watch 3D movies.

The only problem I see right now in 3D games is the fact that gamers are required to wear glasses when playing. After reading Kuo's post he did not seem to mind the fact that the player has to wear glasses to play the games. I on the other hand am still on the fence on this aspect of 3D gaming.
.  
Not all 3D gaming requires glasses however! Nintendo recently released the Nintendo 3DS on March 27. The Nintendo 3DS is a glasses free hand held gaming device. The Nintendo 3DS retails for $250 and currently has about 20 games, which retail for about $40 each, that can be played on the device. Aside from playing games on the Nintendo 3DS owners can also access the internet, take 3D videos and even watch 3D movies.
 
This is the virtual tour of the Nintendo 3DS found on the Nintendo website. The part of this video that applies best to the post starts at the 4 minute mark.

 If you happen to be in the same boat as me and feel like the 3D glasses would be an inconvenience when playing games then the Nintendo 3DS is clearly your best option. As of right now I am interested in 3D gaming but I think I will hold out until it becomes cheaper and 3D glasses free. No matter how you feel about this next step in gaming one cannot deny that 3D is here to stay.

3 comments:

  1. I have always enjoyed your use of multimedia along with your links. You do a great job of connecting everything. As for ideas for your future posts, I would agree this is hard because I too am doing it on video games, however I did find a few articles such as "When 3D gaming goes awry" along with "Video games can score a Grammy Award." I really did enjoy your post about NFL and legal issues. Is there any other major leagues other than the NFL that have legal issues or was it just NFL? I hope this helps, again I know it is hard to come up with ideas! Otherwise I really enjoyed your last post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another quality post Mack. I think that the advent of 3D technology is definitely a great topic to talk about and some games already support the technology (Call of Duty: Black Ops comes to mind here). However like you said, the glasses can really inhibit people from exploring the technology more than it really is. Some possible ideas for future posts could be how interactive games are getting, how Nintendo just announced the Wii 2 HD and it's release date and maybe you could compare the interactiveness of each system (Wii, 360, PS3) and their respective pieces of interaction (Wii controllers, 360 Kinect, Playstation Move) and how it's not longer lazy to play games. Another idea is that you could discuss the online gaming communities of Xbox Live and the Playstation network and the pros/cons of each and some facts about them or something along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was kind of not expecting an example of a glasses free gadget offering 3D capabilities, I guess the thought never struck me. I have to say, the video for the Nintendo 3DS was long, I enjoyed the one on the PS3. As you said, you'd probably want to wait for the price to go down on the Nintendo 3DS, good blog idea!

    ReplyDelete